It’s been two years and I’m still learning so much about writing a blog. I wrote a post about my first year of blogging here and figured I’d give another update. I originally started with the blog (writing posts on WordPress) and an Instagram account (posting photos almost daily about Iceland). This past year, I started posting Instagram stories about my life, added a Twitter account, a Pinterest account and finally a Facebook account. It’s a lot to manage and Instagram is still my main source of traffic for my blog.
I typically use social media for the following:
- Instagram I post a picture almost daily. I revamped my account this year to make my page more aesthetically pleasing and preorganize my feed with Later. I’ve met a few local photographers due to Instagram and we go out and shoot fairly regularly. It’s been wonderful to get to see another side of Ottawa that I wouldn’t otherwise.
- Instagram Stories I started posting this year and found my Instagram traffic and followers has been consistent or increasing. I’ll share pictures that won’t make it on my blog/Instagram account or about my daily fitness or social outings. I’ve made the choice to not show my friends or family often and this will definitely stick.
- Twitter I forget about tweeting, but WordPress will share my posts to Twitter. I’ll typically share some tidbits about my day or retweet a lot of other people’s things.
- Pinterest So far I’ve used it mostly for finding workouts or healthy recipes but I plan to start making Travel Guides (I just haven’t found the time or best resources to do so!)
- Facebook is mostly to show my friends and families my blog posts but I’m hoping to start sharing a few more interesting things. It’s all a work in progress
I have three series on my blog:
- Every Tuesday I publish a post, mostly about travel: planning, execution, packing lists, etc.
- The first Friday of every month I’ve started a Photography Series. I bought a “for Dummies” book ages ago and have hardly read through it so I thought taking one month to practice a skill would help improve my photography game. It’s been fun so far.
- I then started the Fitness Series on the third Friday of every month. Again, it’s a way to hold myself accountable and continue to have a goal for my fitness: even if it’s just sharing my progress and what I’ve learned. So far it’s been mostly about fitness but I’ll be adding posts about healthy eating and mental health: all are a part of my fitness journey.
This year (2019) I have a few goals to improve the blog, including posting less regularly on Instagram (only posting my favourite photos rather than trying to find a photo a day), as well as improving my blog aesthetics.
Thank you to everyone who has followed along so far! The blog is a lot of work – and I’ve been slacking lately especially with the holidays, but I love the creativity outlet Passportunities provides me and the community I’ve become a part of.