Let me start by saying I LOVED IT. This was my first trip where I was completely on my own – no friends to meet at my destination, no one else to travel with, just myself. Here’s my experience travelling solo.
- Planning. So easy. I was on my own schedule so organizing 13 hour days, making choices on where to go/what to see and booking flights/ hostels/ tours was all up to me. If there was something I wanted to do, I would do it. The flip side was the same – if I felt like NOT doing something, I didn’t feel obligated! Making last minute decisions wasn’t an issue.
- Budget. The budget of the trip was what I wanted to spend. When travelling with others you may have to adjust your budget to fit the needs/wants of your fellow travellers.
- Safety. I never once felt unsafe or worried about my well-being while travelling in London, Dublin or Belfast. Granted, I’m not one to wander around at night by myself but none-the-less I never felt like I made a wrong turn down the wrong road.
- Loneliness. I spend most of my free time alone so this wasn’t an issue for me until the St. Patrick’s Day Festival. Eating dinner at a restaurant by myself didn’t bother me until I was in Dublin where most people were travelling with friends or family. I made it through, but I think solo festival travelling will not be in my near future. Most days were jam packed with activities so it mostly wasn’t an issue.
- Meeting people. Everyone I met was so friendly and it seemed easier to meet people by myself than when I’ve travelled with others. Others seemed more inclined to approach me on this trip than in the past and I met lots of other solo travellers!
- Mood. I was grumpy my second night in London because I was tired and sore and ended up sitting down a lot on my walk back! Travelling alone I was able to be grumpy and keep to myself.
All-in-all I plan to travel alone again in the near(ish) future. It’s definitely an experience I enjoyed and would love to see other sides of solo travelling.
Where do you recommend travelling solo? Or would like to travel solo? Let me know!