I think we can all agree that fitness is the last thing on most people’s mind while travelling. Going to the gym takes time from seeing the local attractions. Eating healthy is hard because you want to try local cuisine. It’s hard to have a routine when you want to be spontaneous. Time is limited when taking a vacation from work so who wants to spend it working out?
I promise, with these few simple choices, it’s much easier to be healthy while travelling than you think.
- Walk or rent a bike. Walking to or from your destination rather than taking public transportation (such as a taxi or the bus) is an easy way to get in exercise and you’ll stumble across things you may not have noticed while in a bus, car or subway. Renting a bike is a great way to see more of the city you’re in and it’s a great cardio workout!
- Drink water. Water is essential to the human body so drink as much as you can when you can. Carrying around a reusable water bottle will make this easier.
- Don’t eat out all the time. I like to pick one meal a day (lunch or dinner) and eat at a restaurant and try something new. For your other meals try buying food at a grocery store for a healthy picnic or, if you’re staying somewhere with a stove, try cooking a local dish yourself. I normally stick with snacking on fresh fruits and veggies during the day and eating one larger meal in the evening.
- Body weight exercises*. They are so easy to do in your hotel room or even at the park! If you feel self conscious about working out at a park, go early in the morning. It’s also a great way to get fresh air at the beginning of your day.
- Stretch. If you do a lot of walking while on vacation like I do, stretching is key so you can walk just as much the next day. If you’re comfortable, you can go to the park to do Yoga (I use the free Down Dog app) or simply do some stretches in your hotel room or hostel.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Personally, I don’t drink while travelling because I get day long hangovers and would waste the whole day after a night of drinking but if you’re not like me and can bounce back limit your drinks. Alcohol is full of empty calories so drinking one or two drinks less than normal.